The VOICES OF CANTON announces auditions for new a cappella ensemble. Auditions will be held on Friday, August 31st from 6:30PM-9:30PM and September 1st from 10:00AM-2:00PM, at the Cultural Center for the Arts, located at 1001 Market Ave. N, Canton, OH 44702.
VOX AUDIO is Canton’s first civic a cappella vocal ensemble of its kind. Inspired by musical groups like the PENTATONIX and the PITCH PERFECT movie franchise, VOX AUDIO is an auditioned unaccompanied performance ensemble that uses tonal color, imitation of instrumental sounds, beautiful harmonic textures and beatboxing to explore the beauty and endless possibilities of the human voice.
Under the direction of North Canton native, Brian D. Kieffer, VOX AUDIO sings unaccompanied vocal charts derived from contemporary pop/rock hits as well as jazz arrangements from the American songbook. Receiving his undergraduate degree from Bowling Green State University and his masters’ degree in choral conducting from Kent State University, Kieffer has taught at Glen Oak High School for 28 years. His vocal jazz ensembles have received numerous awards in national competitions as well as accolades and respect from experts in the field of vocal jazz. In addition to his work in Plain Local Schools, he is an adjunct fine arts faculty member at Malone University where he conducts the Women’s Concert Choir, the Stark County High School Honors Choir as well as applied voice. He was most recently honored as “Outstanding Stark County Music Educator” by the Canton Symphony Orchestra.
AUDITION DETAILS and REQUIREMENTS
– Friday, August 31; 6:30PM – 9:30PM
– Saturday, Sept. 1; 10:00AM – 2:00PM
– VOCI office, located at 1001 Market Ave N, Canton OH 44702
– Requests for audition times can be made by emailing info@VoicesOfCanton.org
– Those auditioning will be required to:
1. Sing vocalization exercises (as prompted by director) to demonstrate tone quality, range, flexibility as well as the ability to blend with other voices
2. Match (vocally recreate) pitches and sequences of pitches as played on the piano to demonstrate aural skills and intonation
3. Sing/perform 32 measures of a song without accompaniment
– One verse and One chorus are sufficient
– Choose any style that features the best parts of your voice; remembering that this ensemble is geared more toward contemporary styles of singing
4. For those interested in beatboxing, vocally improvise three stylistically different rhythmic pattern
5. For basses, improvise a “walking bass line” under a twelve bar blues as played on the piano by director
– Group membership and audition results will be announced Monday, September 3rd
– Starting September 6th, rehearsals will be each Thursday evening from 7:00 – 9:30 PM (location TBD)
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org