The Canton Symphony Orchestra has announced the students chosen for the pilot Orchestrating Change Leadership Program. The Orchestrating Change Leadership Program has been established to further the mission of the Orchestrating Change podcast by creating programming to realize change within the Canton Symphony and the field of classical music. Selected students will gather virtually Tuesdays and Thursdays June 1- August 12 to analyze the contents of the Orchestrating Change podcast and create real actionable change to be instituted at the Canton Symphony and beyond. Students will be tasked to create new programs, initiatives, educational projects and other relevant content to promote diversity and equity in the realm of classical music.
- Valerie Mathis – Cleveland State University Class of 21’
- Elyssa Allen – University of Pittsburgh Class of 24’
- Halle Robinson – University of Mount Union Class of 21’
- Samaria Hill – University of Akron Class of 25’
- Carmen Mario Chick – Baldwin Wallace University Class of 24’
- Irene Guggenheim-Triana – The Ohio State University Class of 22’
- Emma Fleischaker – Capital University Class of 23’
- Sarah Carter – Baldwin Wallace University Class of 23’
- Eva Reyes-Smith – Miami University Class of 21’
Along with this real-world programming experience, students will develop leadership and professional skills to take into the workforce. Students will attend lectures and Q&A sessions with podcast guests as well as other industry professionals. Then they will present in front of the CSO Board their final projects of the program and receive feedback from the board, staff, and other outside perspectives. More information about the program and the 2021 speakers can be found at https://www.cantonsymphony.org/leadershipprogram/.
Founded in 1937, the Canton Symphony Orchestra is a fully professional ensemble and organization dedicated to performing concerts that enrich, educate and entertain residents of Stark County and beyond. The orchestra performs classical, holiday, casual, and a variety of educational programs in Umstattd Performing Arts Hall, adjacent to the Zimmermann Symphony Center at 2323 17th Street NW, Canton, Ohio, as well as other venues in Stark County. For more information, please visit www.cantonsymphony.org or call (330)452-2094. Administrative offices are located at the Zimmermann Symphony Center 2331 17th Street NW, Canton OH 44708.